GIS map data with accurate location information is a core component for 9-1-1. To make it possible for you to successfully implement software systems for use in your E9-1-1 or NG9-1-1 system, a quality GIS map data set is essential for:
- identifying locations of 9-1-1 callers
- routing calls based on geography to the proper responding PSAP
- generating routes to emergency situations
- discovering additional information about a location
GeoComm’s GIS Services Bureau assists customers in developing new or update existing data layers for use in their public safety systems. We customize a data development plan to meet each customer’s needs, depending on the end use of the data and the existing resources available.
Various GIS map data layers can be developed and integrated into your public safety GIS map data set, however the following key map layers are needed for 9-1-1:
- Road Centerlines
- Address Points
- PSAP Service Area Boundaries
- Other Service Area Boundaries such as law, fire, medical, coast guard, etc.
- Community Boundaries
Other GIS data layers that GeoComm can assist in developing and integrating into your system such as waterways, railroads, and points of interest; provide 9-1-1 personnel with additional reference information.
We develop or update GIS map data:
- using existing resources such as aerial images and parcels,
- by verifying information and collecting GPS data in the field, or
- a combination of both.
An important process during data development is ongoing and final QA/QC of the data. We use proven methods and our GeoLynx DMS Data Management software which includes over 18 QA/QC automated audits was developed based on GeoComm’s GIS map data development experience. These methods ensure the quality and completeness of the GIS map data created prior to delivery for use in public safety systems.