Improve GIS Data
The second step to NG9-1-1 GIS data readiness is to improve your GIS data based on the assessment. GeoComm’s highly skilled project managers and subject matter experts, partner with you to develop and customize a data improvement plan specific to your NG9-1-1 GIS data needs. Your GIS map data improvement goals are achieved by implementing industry best practices and comprehensive QA/QC. Our highly experienced staff works to deliver the highest quality GIS map data based on your customized data improvement plan. As your GIS map data is being improved, quality control processes are being conducted real-time, utilizing our suite of industry specific GIS improvement tools.
We build and enhance your GIS map data specific for your 9-1-1 requirements by:
- Utilizing existing resources including aerial images, parcels, or other hard copy or digitally available information
- Or: Verifying information and collecting GPS data in the field
- Or: An appropriate combination of both approaches
Numerous GIS map data layers can be developed and integrated into your public safety GIS map dataset, however the following key map layers are needed for 9-1-1:
- Road Centerlines
- Address Points
- PSAP Service Area Boundaries
- Other Service Area Boundaries such as law, fire, medical, coast guard, etc.
- Community Boundaries
By working with GeoComm to improve your GIS data, you will receive a quality GIS dataset which can use for:
- identifying locations of 9-1-1 callers
- routing calls based on geography to the proper responding PSAP
- generating routes to emergency situations
- discovering additional information about a location
To learn more about improving your GIS data read our white paper: The Importance of Address Point Layer Development.