Every agency faces unique obstacles when trying to achieve accurate map data. Some common obstacles agencies face include:
- Experience: A need for a GIS services team with a great depth of knowledge of GIS, the needs of public safety agencies, and specific GIS requirements for Next Generation 9-1-1 (NG9-1-1).
- Cost Effectiveness: A jurisdiction may not have the time or training to maintain public safety GIS data and it can be costly to create a new fully staffed department with this capability.
- Value: An agency may not have the justification for staffing a full or part-time GIS Specialist.
- Size of Jurisdiction: Due to the size of the jurisdiction, the amount of data updates needed may be minimal and/or intermittent.
- GIS for Public Safety: While agencies or jurisdictions may have a full-time GIS staff in place they may lack specific expertise when it comes to public safety needs in GIS, especially for NG9-1-1.
- Expertise: The staff that maintains the GIS data may not have a full understanding of the current GIS national standards prescribed for public safety, current and emerging NG9-1-1 GIS data standards, and the future long term vision for the nation’s 9-1-1 system being developed by NENA.
- Data Coordination: GIS datasets may require working with multi-jurisdictional boundaries where agencies, jurisdictions, counties, metropolitan centers, and regions need to work together to coordinate GIS data edge matching and boundary disputes.
GeoComm can help you overcome all of these obstacles. We have completed over 1,000 successful GIS projects nationwide and our GIS Services continuously evolve to meet the needs of public safety, offering an affordable alternative to hiring, training, and equipping new staff locally. Working with GeoComm, our clients discover their projects are completed to their specifications, guaranteed. As a leader in providing public safety GIS since 1995, GeoComm’s GIS Services Bureau is closely involved with industry standards for public safety GIS data, including participating in NENA workgroups that set the standards.
What GIS service does your agency need help with?
Our GIS services are backed by nearly two decades of experience and continually evolve to meet the needs of the public safety sector as new technologies emerge. Learn more about how you can benefit from hiring GeoComm’s GIS Services Bureau.